As you’ll soon learn, I am obsessed with breakfast foods. Since reading the Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, MD I have added this recipe to my rotation. It packs brain-boosting healthy fats and an abundance of antioxidants. Like its name implies, it’s a quick recipe to throw together on a busy morning or as a midday snack. You can easily modify it by adding your favorite nuts and berries. If you give this recipe a try, share your creation with me on Instagram by using #bodyofgratitudenutrition
Health benefits of this recipe:
- Great source of healthy fats from the Walnuts. Walnuts are a good source for omega-3s and Vitamin E.
- Coconut has great electrolyte balancing minerals and antiaging properties from the Selenium it contains.
- Blueberries are full of great antioxidants, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, and Potassium. Blueberries also help reduce fat storage by decreasing insulin resistance. They are also a great source of neuroprotective resveratrol.
- Looking to add more fiber into your day? Swap raspberries for blueberries. You’ll also be protecting collagen and adding in Vitamin B and Biotin.
- Unsweetened almond milk is low in both calories and sugar. Store bought almond milk is usually fortified with half of your daily dose of vitamin E, the beauty vitamin that keeps skin moisturized and protected from the sun, plus 45 percent of your calcium and 25 percent of your vitamin D. Bonus- It’s free of the hormones and antibiotics found in conventional dairy (Hart, 111).
See the full recipe below images.
¼ cup crushed raw, unsalted walnuts (or other nuts)
¼ cup coconut flakes
1 handful of fresh berries
⅔ cup whole milk or almond milk
Combine the ingredients in a bowl and enjoy.
- Need more protein? Mix water and your favorite protein powder and use it as the “milk”.
- Need more fiber? Use raspberries instead of blueberries.
- For added omegas top with chia seeds, hemp seeds or ground flax seeds.
serves: 1 | total time: 5 minutes
Calories and macros will vary based on ingredients used. Recipe macros based on ½ cup of blueberries and unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
Perlmutter, David, MD. Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar–Your Brain’s Silent Killers. New York: Little Brown, 2013. Print.
Hart, Jolene, CHC, AADP. Eat Pretty: Nutrition for Beauty, Inside and Out. San Francisco: Chronicle, 2014. Print.
Ceramic Bowl from Dirty Feathers.
© 2017 No Easy Day Training LLC. Design & Development by Bodybuilder Websites